Monday 19 September 2011

Frito Pie Anyone?


     I remember the first time a friend made me their version of Frito Pie, I thought...seriously?  I had never heard of Frito Pie before.  It sounded strange, although I did grow up a fan of Frito's, so...I figured, why not? Okay, let's give it a try.      
     Needless to say, I loved it and turned out to be a Frito Pie fan, and although it wasn't the healthiest of dishes, it was in fact something I would call fun food.  It's great for a sports event get together with friends or a quick and easy meal when you are craving something along the lines of nachos or taco dips.
     I made a few changes to the Frito Pie recipe as I do not like it with chili as much as I do with ground burger.  I also love a really sharp cheddar and always use the Barbecue chips vs the regular ones.  I never eat it out of a bag even though a lot of tradionilists say Frito Pie MUST be eaten that way, I always use a pie pan.

Frito Pie

1 bag of Barbecue Frito Lay Corn Chips http://www.fritos.com
1 lb of lean ground beef
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 small yellow onion, diced small
1 can corn niblets
Very Sharp Cheddar, shredded...A few handfuls (brand is up to you, I always liked Tillamook) http://www.tillamook.com

Brown your burger with the onion adding the garlic last so it doesn't burn and drain any grease if needed.  Layer the meat mixture into the bottom of a pie pan adding a layer of corn niblets next, add shredded Cheddar cheese and top with Fritos.  Bake in a pre-heated oven (350 degrees) until the Frito's are lightly browned.  The cheese will have melted by now and mixed in with the corn and meat mixture.  Remove from the oven and serve, delicious!

There are many options for Frito Pie toppings such as diced Tomatoes, sliced or minced Jalapenos, chopped Onion, chopped Lettuce, sliced Green Onion, diced Avocado, Sour Cream...the sky is the limit when it comes to toppings.  Enjoy.

No Photo available as I can't get Frito's anymore where I live, I know...weird huh?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...