Wednesday 5 October 2011

Meatloaf Pinwheels with Spinach Mushroom and Cheddar Cheese


     A few years ago I decided to make a romantic dinner for two.  When I was at the market visiting the meat deli, I decided on some pre-made pinwheels only because they looked so darn pretty in the case.  It was my first time buying this type of item but thought there was very little that could go wrong.  I cooked my dinner and knew while I was plating that something was not quite right, those darn pinwheels just didn't look as pretty, they didn't look moist and I was a little worried.  Well, as it turned out, it was for good reason.  They were the most horrid little bits of something I had ever put on a plate.  Today, we can laugh about it as it is a far off memory, an experience I will never repeat, yes, they were that awful.  How embarrassed was I?  Terribly!

     We all have those moments where we chose wrong or something did not come out the way we had expected, hoped or wished for.  Unpleasant as it might be at the time, it is these times in life we can look back on and laugh, giggle, sigh and make weird faces about.  Moments we know we will never repeat.

     While I was considering making meatloaf stuffed with something yummy and was deciding on content and how best to stuff it, it was those awful pinwheels that came to mind.  It was an inspiration really, instead of figuring out a way to stuff a meatloaf, I decided on rolling it and making my slices look like pretty little pinwheels.  Question was...when he saw them, would he eat them?  I still chuckle today as I write this remembering  his delight when he saw the slices on his plate.  Another yummy dinner, thank goodness. 

Chop Crimini mushrooms ( 5-7) and onions (half an onion) and saute in Extra Virgin Olive oil seasoned with Kosher salt and Black pepper
Saute until tender
Add 2.5 handfuls of fresh spinach and saute only until the spinach wilts, set aside to cool
Season 1.5 lbs (.615kg) Lean Sirloin burger in the way you choose, I used...Salt-Pepper-Oregano-a touch of garlic powder-1 egg yolk-bread crumbs and a few splashes of Worcestershire.  Flatten (not to thin) on a board
Layer the vegetable mixture on top of the meat and leave an inch or so border
Shred the Cheddar cheese, I always have aged sharp cheddar on hand
Layer the cheese above the vegetable mixture
Roll lengthwise into a log, cover with foil and cook in a preheated oven for about an hour at 350 degrees.
Brush a thick layer of your sauce over the entire log and place under the broiler for a few minutes until it is caramelized.  Remove from oven and let the meatloaf rest at least 5 minutes before slicing

Voila! Delicious....


Not the greatest photo...I was still learning about decent lighting and the camera on/off flash option BUT, it was pretty to look at and tasty tasty!   : )
You can use ketchup as a sauce or some use stewed tomatoes.  I made a quick sauce that was a little sweet and next time I think I will add a little mustard to it to help balance that out.

My Sauce

Ketchup
Brown Sugar
Maple Syrup
Salt
Pepper
Worcestershire Sauce

JWsMadeWLuvMondays
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...