Monday 7 November 2011

Bruschetta on Crostini


In some conversations when discussing bruschetta, you may hear it pronounced two different ways.  I use the SK and not the SCH sound when referring to the dish, although I am questioned often and sometimes teased.  Regardless, I stick to my guns, and pronounce it the way the Italians do....with the hard SK sound.  To reference more information on this subject I have included a link for you : )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruschetta

     It being my very first time making the dish, I did some research online and found many versions of the dish.  I found that some recipes did include some of my favorite ingredients I felt should be in it.  Others left some out...so knowing the basics, I built my own.  I am sure you can find something similar to it or maybe even exactly but as I did not...this is my own version of bruschetta...In Italian, bruschetta is pronounced [brusˈketːa].

     I didn't follow a recipe but followed the idea that the accompanying ingredients should compliment the tomato and not over power it so I roughly used...

4 Roma tomatoes, chopped small and drained to remove juice and seeds
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 slice (thin) of red onion chopped into small pieces
A few basil leaves, sliced in the chiffonade style
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix and leave in refrigerator so flavors meld together, from 1 hour to overnight if making ahead.
Be careful to not use too much basil as it will overpower all other flavors.


Spoon bruschetta on top of crostini, plate and serve


You can also spread a nice creamy feta cheese spread on the crostini, and then add the bruschetta.  It not only gives it an awesome flavor profile, but helps the bruschetta to adhere to the crostini.



Delicious!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...