Monday 27 February 2012

Vegan Banana Berry Ice Cream with No Machine



Vegan Banana Berry IceCream
without a machine

First off I should say, I am not vegan...I am not a vegetarian, and I am not opposed to trying new recipes.  I love all food with very few exceptions so when I have the chance to have something healthy, why not? 




It's said they we first eat with our eyes, food should be appealling to look at, and hopefully when that happens the taste will meet or exceed our expectations.  Food brings us joy and gives our bodies sustenance, it is a daily requirement we need and it's something regardless of anything else, we have in common, it brings us together. 

I love icecream and love to learn ways to make it sans the icecream machine.  My first attempt was a mango icecream that came out surprisingly delicious.  The new icecream challenge?  Why not try for a vegan, sugar free, low-fat ice cream...okay.  Here it is.  Shockingly simple involving only two ingredients, when I read the original recipe and post, I kept thinking, Really?  I had to reread that post several times before I convinced myself I wasn't missing something : ) I wasn't...and now I have a simple, healthy new version of icecream I can easily make whenever the mood strikes me, what's not to love about that?




Yields 1.5 cups icecream per 2 bananas and 1/2 cup of berries

I made it for a dinner party with 6 guests so I used

6 bananas  Peel-Slice-Freeze for at least 1 hour
3.5 cups of frozen Berry Cherry Medley (I threw in extra)
(No sugar added mix of Strawberries/Black Currants/Sweet Cherries/Blackberries/Blueberries/Red Sour Cherries)

You don't want green bananas but not overly ripe ones either.

The wonderful thing is you can use this banana base with any other fruit! Peaches, Strawberries, the sky is the limit : )
Peel and Slice bananas, let freeze for about an hour
Place bananas and berries in a food processor and whiz until combined, smooth, creamy and well blended.  One trick I learned while doing this, I should have filled the processor up halfway, whizzing it in 2 batches would have made life a little easier : )
Place in a freezer proof container.  The icecream is finished and can be eaten right away, it's truly delicious.  I placed it in the freezer for later in the day.  When serving, be sure to remove from the freezer for at least 15-20 minutes so it has a chance to soften before eating.
You can garnish with berries for a pretty appeal : )





And..........Since it's Monday and it's made from scratch with love, I think I would like to share it with Javelin Warriors Made with Love Mondays Challenge post link up...Part of the joy we get is in the sharing right?


JWsMadeWLuvMondays

Thanks for reading : )


Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...