Tuesday 6 March 2012

Catfish Dinner






I've eaten a lot of fish over the years, and really never had the desire to eat catfish.  Nor did I ever want to order it in a restaurant, there were so many other choices, why choose catfish? Sadly to say, even with as many times as I have travelled through the southern states, catfish just wasn't a choice I made.  Shame really as it's a really nice tasting fish.





My daddy was...still is, a fisherman, a life long lover of nature, he has hunted and fished for as long as I can remember.  I have of course because of this reason had the opportunity to eat catfish in my life.  What I remembered about it was, that it was a big, ugly, scary looking fish.  When you're young it's easy and very common to say, yuck!  Unless something changes to alter the way we think, it's usually those memories that stick with us.  So....as an adult, when faced with catfish, I inwardly would think, yuck! Ugly fish!  Kinda makes me chuckle now even as I tell you this...how silly, right?  There's absolutely no reason to not eat catfish, it made a wonderful dinner last night and next time I see it on a menu, especially if it's blackened, well darn it, I'm ordering it! That's a promise : )

Place enough water in the pan to only come up about halfway on the asparagus, grate in 1 teaspoon fresh parmigiano reggiano cheese, add 1 quartered slice of fresh lemon...squeezed, simmer until a fork passes through.  I like mine soft with a little crunch left in it : ) Why boil when so little water is needed?  Asparagus takes very little time to cook, esp. when so slim, be careful to not cook until it is mushy : )



Make an egg wash with 1 beaten egg, season heavily with black pepper.  Place catfish fillets in egg wash, dredge fillets in cornmeal, patting fillet down to help cornmeal adhere nicely.  Fry in a preheated pan in a mix of butter and olive oil with a wedge of lemon until each side is golden brown.   

I used pre-packaged fresh uncooked ravioli I had leftover stored in the freezer


Pin It



Red Pepper Mascarpone Sauce for Stuffed Spinach & Cheese Ravioli

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped small
pinch of thyme
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons cream

Saute red bell pepper in butter with seasonings until soft
Boil  (12) Ravioli 3-4 minutes or until they float, drain and place back into pot
Add butter and red bell pepper to ravioli
Mix in mascarpone cheese
Add cream to create a velvety sauce

Thanks for stopping by : )


Buddy Approved : ) Just for Fun


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...