Thursday 1 March 2012

Spinach Mascarpone Sunny Side Eggs


I had in mind what I was going to write about today, and then something happened to completely change my mind.  Funny how that works in life isn't it?  What happened do you ask?  Breakfast! and OMGoodness was it good : )  Did I feel a little guilty? only a little in that it tasted soooo good...I'm still smiling : D






I never in my life have used mascarpone cheese when cooking something.  I've eaten it of course and enjoyed it, so I decided to rise to the challenge when Valentine's Day rolled around and was pleased with the results of both desserts I made.  The only thing was, I had a fair amount leftover and really wasn't sure what to do with it.  The Chilean Sea Bass I made solved part of the answer for me, I folded it into the mashed potatoes I used as a base for the fish and loved it, but again...there was still a bit left over : )

What to do...What to do...I laugh to myself on the inside all the while feeling a bit of urgency since I refuse to waste any of it by not using it.  While I'm thinking this morning, and working on Twitter and researching the new popular Pinterest...I realized I was hungry, it's these simple moments when sometimes a light bulb goes off.  I was up and moving into the kitchen!

Spinach, Mascarpone Sunny Side Eggs

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small garlic clove, grated
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
Pepper
Salt
Fresh spinach
2 teaspoons mascarpone cheese
2 large eggs
1 roll or piece of crusty bread

Heat a pan
Add olive oil, heat slightly on medium heat
Add garlic, season with salt and pepper
Add butter
Add spinach, I used approx. 2 cups as it wilts down pretty well when cooked
When spinach starts to wilt
Add mascarpone cheese and mix with spinach
Create a circle (nest) of spinach leaving the center open
Crack and add two eggs to center of spinach nest
Cook until whites are set and no longer runny
Using a flat spatula, slide them on to a plate and enjoy with a nice crusty bread

You can scramble the eggs or baste the tops if you like leaving the yolks soft, or cook them till yolks are to your liking : )  I like them soft, so I'll usually eat them over easy, or basted soft.  I left them sunny this time for visual appeal : D




Eat with a nice crusty bread or roll, garnish with a sprinkle of fresh cracked black pepper

So yummy : )




This morning while browsing Pinterest and Foodbuzz and checking Twitter : D  I saw and pinned a photo and recipe for an egg dish using yogurt, so delicious looking I knew right away I wanted to try it (You know how much I love spinach!) and considered making something inspired by it for this months Foodbuzz flavor of the month recipe...Yogurt.  So inspiration comes to us in many ways, my light bulb moment for the mascarpone was helped along by this awesome find....http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/01/skillet-baked-eggs-with-spinach-yogurt-and-chili-oil

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...