Tuesday 22 May 2012

The Legendary Corned Beef Sandwich


Do you love a good corned beef sandwich? How would you feel if it was considered legendary?  Well, I found one here in Michigan...at Jimmy Dee's.  Recommended by my sister who claimed they had the very best sandwich, mom and I scooped her up for lunch and we set off to check it out.

The Place...
Established in 1987, Jimmy Dee's has had the honor of being been voted with Macomb County’s Best Reuben Sandwich in 2005, 2006, 2008 & 2009 in the Macomb Daily's Readers Choice Award.  They promise great food & good times.  Their corned beef sandwich is their claim to fame although they also have award winning ribs.

The Location...
Located in Clinton Township on the East side of Groesbeck Hwy, it's very easy to find.  Clinton Township is one of the many cities that make up the Metropolitan Detroit Area that calls itself home to approx. 5,000,000 residents.  Jimmy Dees' is basically a bar with a restaurant inside with a side room attached.  This is where we sat and, with the tall windows looking out on the parking lot, it helped us to feel as if we weren't hiding indoors as much with the sun shining into the room.

The Food...
Of course I couldn't order anything other than the legendary corned beef but...there are a lot of choices on their menu.  The legendary corn beef sandwich is priced at $6.99 and is worth every cent!  It was one of the largest sandwiches I've ever gotten.  Served on your choice of breads or an onion roll, they offer white, rye or pumpernickel.
An intriguing bit of info shared with me was when I asked our server where they got their corn beef.  Turns out, it's a secret : )  Jimmy Dee's is sourcing out the brisket and preparing their corn beef in house, they are also serving their sandwich with house made thousand island dressing.

This sandwich is so big, I knew I would have to cut it in half
 
Just look at that baby...
The corn beef is moist and flavorful which was a delight as so many are serving corn beef sandwiches that are dry and so thin you're left wondering why they're so skimpy with the meat.  This is the real deal with a half pound of corn beef piled on.


I ate half and took the other half home : )

You can add fries or coleslaw to your sandwich selection for an extra $2.00...mom and I ordered the fries & coleslaw and shared both.

Would I Return? Would I return? Sure I would.  I don't normally visit bars or lounges for their food and I don't really patron bars anymore but if I was looking for a really great corned beef sandwich...this would be the first place I'd think of.  I would definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a great sandwich.

The Experience...
Lunch was good, the company was fun and the service was attentive and friendly.  The restaurant is clean and offers a very casual atmosphere where anyone will feel comfortable visiting whether in a suit from the office or holding a hard hat and wearing steel toe boots.

You can check out Jimmy Dee's on line by clicking this link.   You can get directions to their location, browse their menu items and even contact them via email or by phone.  I called them to confirm and it seems they aren't on Facebook or Twitter...sorry : )

Till next time : ) Ciao & Happy Cookin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...